Was wir tun
ROLLE IM PROJEKT
Penox Group / Penox GmbH
- PENOX Group, initially founded in 1994 as Penarroya Oxide Group, is one of the world’s largest producers of leady oxides, with production sites in Germany, Spain, Mexico and Korea.
- Since 2017 all production sites are operating under the roof of PENOX Group GmbH with the global headquarter located in Eschborn, Germany.
- PENOX, as partner of the lead acid battery industry, is offering functional additives for the positive and negative active material in addition to leady oxides.
- PENOX history: http://www.penoxgroup.com/history/
PENOX – In the AddESun Project
- The “AddESun” Project is investigating new potential additives for industrial lead-acid batteries.
- PENOX as one of the industrial partners is responsible for the testing of innovative materials for lead-acid battery technology using their new R&D center in Thuringia that was set-up in 2017 to drive material innovation for the industry.
- PENOX research activities are focussing on a better understanding of the correlation between electrode structure and electrical performance.
- Among other materials TBLS+® is investigated and allows to control the growth of tetrabasic crystals and thus to tune the porosity of the positive active mass (PAM).
- Within the first year of the “AddESun” project over 30 paste mixes had been investigated. The electrodes are provided to the partner Fraunhofer ISC for further electrical testing.
- Presently, a Demonstrator with optimised positive electrodes using new additive materials is build by the partner EXIDE Technologies.
PENOX – Pre-Screening of PAM Additives
Pre-screening is done to check the impact of new additive substances
- Positive Actives Mass (PAM) mixed in an Eirich R01
- Pasting of 20 to 30 small plates by hand
- Curing of plates with defined curing profile
- Characterisation of cured plates: Water porosity, Hg porosity, free lead content, 4BS content, REM and XRD
PENOX – Influence of Tetrabasic (4BS) Seeding Material
Effects on cured positive plates:
- At temperature higher 65°C tetrabasic lead sulphate (4BS) crystals are formed during curing process
- Without seeding crystals, the active mass is forming large crystals – disadvantage on surface area and capacity
- TBLS+® (4BS dispersion) allows to control the average size of the crystals in cured plates
PENOX – AddESun NEWS
PENOX Presentation on the Asian Battery Conference 2019 in Bali, Indonesia
„Systematic Screening for new Additives in Lead-Acid Battery Technology – Role of Porosity and Electrode Surface Area”, Dr. Rainer Bußar et al.
Dr. Rainer Bußar
Gothaer Str. 39